Thursday, February 18, 2010

the diagnosis



Things have been very busy around here since Christmas. Greyson was admitted to the hospital on his birthday, January 4th, for pneumonia. While we were there his neurologist came to see him as she often does when he is admitted. She had the long awaited genetic test results. I thought that it would be another dead end, as usual, but this time there was big news. They had found a diagnosis. The condition is called Nemaline Myopathy. It is very rare, in fact there are only 143 cases of it in the world right now. The condition is typically genetic, and therefore the rest of our family will need to be tested for Nemaline Myopathy. There are different onsets of the condition. Infant, childhood, and adult. Childhood, and adult onset usually shorten the lifespan, by 10 years or so, and the symptoms are generally mild. Infant onset is the most severe, and is usually fatal. Of the 143 cases 27 are infant onset. Most of these babies have died. The infants usually die in the first year. However, if the baby can make it past that first 2 years of life, the symptoms typically diminish, and the child can live a fairly normal life, with a normal lifespan. It's incredible that this information came on his first birthday. The doctor told me that the reason he is still alive is because of all the preventative treatment that we have done for him. I know that all the prayers and faith of our friends and family have been the biggest factor in his survival. We have worked hard to get him this far, but we can't do everything. Luckily the Lord makes up for what we can't do, through the prayers and faith of loved ones. It is nothing short of miraculous the way the Lord works. If we had known the diagnosis from the beginning we would have given up. We would not have been aggressive with preventative treatment. We would have just made him comfortable assuming we would loose him in that first year. Because we did not know, we fought hard. There have only been 4 babies to survive this on record right now. He will be the 5th, if he survives. Through prayer and faith the Lord has lead us in the direction we need to go each day. Whether it be the hospital or treatments at home, it has worked. The doctors, and physical therapists are amazed at his progress. He is getting stronger each day. We continue to work with him, and he continues to fight this uphill battle. There has never been a more sweet and strong child as Greyson, in my eyes. He fights through numerous uncomfortable obstacles each day with no complaint. He is a wonderful, amazing child who teaches everyone who comes in contact with him the lessons of patience, perseverance, and love. We hope and pray for the best outcome. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your service and love, we could not do this without you. We have learned so much from this sweet spirit already, and hope to be graced with his presence for many years to come.

10 comments:

  1. The crazy thing is that I was looking for the url for Lilly's website and I was on her site and saw the link to YOUR site, and just went there BEFORE I got your email. Cha, I think I knew most of this from Heather, but you put it so well! I am in awe of you and the sacrifices you have made (and continue to make) for your family. It seems they are paying off, and I am SO happy for you! I remember those very scary early days, and even though you will surely have some worrisome times ahead, the outlook is so much brighter now! Hurray for preventative measures! You taught me the importance of the people in my life, and you showed me generosity, and you truly deserve this blessing for your sweet son--the blessing of hope. Sorry so corny. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I can express my feelings since I can't see what I am typing through tears of joy and thankfulness. My heart is so full of love for you and your little family. I have throughly enjoyed my time with Greyson. I loved being with him in the hospital even though it was hard to watch him go through some of the treatments. He would let me know when he was awake and wanted to play. I always got a smile from him when he saw me, then he would proceed to tell me all about what was going on with him. He is amazing and I have been so blessed to be part of his life. We as a family have been blessed by his presence. The Lord will continue to bless Greyson and those that take care of him because it is meant to be. We must learn the lessons expected of us by having this experence. It will make us better children of our Father in Heaven. I love being Greyson's grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know if we should be excited or saddened in knowing a diagnosis for Greyson. But 5 is a good number, Greyson lucky #5. Nice ring to it.

    He is definitely a little miracle and we continue to pray for him ... and you and Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your experiences and letting us be inspired by this little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I am sitting here in tears! I am so thrilled that you have a diagnosis. I am also so close to giving birth, that I'm crazy emotional! I love that you put all of the photos on there. So precious so so precious! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if saying "that is great news!" is the right way to express it, but I am so happy that at least you now know what you are dealing with. You are awe inspiring. You are dealing with all of this with a lot of grace and courage. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting. I have been strengthened by you and your little one before and I am again. I will keep you in my prayers and pray for birthday number 2 and survivor number 5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Josh in saying the right thing, but I think knowing what his diagnosis is makes it easier now. I think Heavenly Father knew your thoughts and knew if you knew too soon that you would give up, like you wrote. I think prolonging the diagnosis made it possible for you and your family to do everything you could to get Greyson to where he is today.
    I wish I was there to get to know him and to help you out when I could.
    When we come home in July for our visit we def need to get together!
    My prayers will continue to go out to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlotte,
    I came across your blog and see that your son was recently diagnosed with NM. There are lots of great families you can talk to on the NM forum who will be happy to "meet" you. It's quite a big group (a lot more than 143 I believe!). My son is one of them, he's almost eleven. I've found this forum and the people who use it a wonderful source of wisdom. Please use this link to get lots of info and a further link to the Nemaline Myopathy forum. http://www.davidmcd.btinternet.co.uk/
    Best, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlotte, is there any way you could email me more specifics about your little boy? Our baby was born just 3 months ago needing respiratory support immediately. Then came some mild hypotonia. Now we are dealing with feeding issues. They ruled out SMA - as I read several entries ago was the same for your boy. Right now he is still in the hospital, but we want to get him home. I am wondering if he might have this thing that Grey has? He has since been taken off of respiratory support and is breathing on his own, but I am still so concerned... Your outlook is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete